Friday, November 13, 2009

The Birthday Boy

Well, I couldn't find time yesterday to post, but it was my big boy's 5th Birthday! Sweet little Lukie is growing up so fast, and there is nothing I can do to slow it down. It seems like just yesterday I was in labor, spending that very long day at Aspen Valley Hospital.


Lucas has so many characteristics that it is hard to put them all into words. He is sensitive and fragile, tender and loving. He loves his mommy like no other. He adores his little brother, but gets very frustrated when Ethan plays with his things. He desperately wants a baby sister. He loves to take walks, push the cart at the grocery store, and make wooden models. He used the phrase "on the other hand" yesterday. And used it correctly. He loves to pray and sing lullabies at bed time. He has memorized Psalm 23. In the King James Version. He is teaching me how to play Risk.

He is still so little yet so big. I've been keeping a book of "Lukieisms" since he could talk, and it is so much fun to go back and read them.


He is spending the night with his Grandma in Marble tonight for the first time. Just the two of them! They are going to do crafts, make jewelry and watch movies. Gil and I joke that he is our little girl, but I am so thankful that he is so sensitive. I know that he will grow up to be a loving, sensitive man, and that is so important.


He was having a hard time grasping that yesterday was actually his Birthday, because we aren't having his party until Saturday. He told me yesterday morning that it couldn't really be his Birthday because we weren't having a cake or anything. So, of course, I picked up a box cake (what a terrible mom) and we made him a crumb cake last night and decorated it with his new pirate Lego's that he got. He was very pleased!



Happy Birthday, my little man! We love you so much!


2 comments:

Megan @ SimplyThrifty said...

Wow! A big 5 year old! It seems like just last week he was turning 4. The time flies by so quickly.

Happy Birthday Lucas! I hope you have a very fun party on Saturday and that you had a great night with Grammy in Marble.

Natalie, the Chickenblogger said...

Happy Birthday Lucas!
Wish we could be there to celebrate with you.