Thursday, September 10, 2009

Ethan's First Scrape

Why is it such a killer on a Mommy the first time your kid gets a scrape?

We were loading up the car last night to hurry off to Lucas' soccer practice. We were actually on schedule (maybe even a few minutes early!), which is not the norm for us.

I held Ethan's hand as we walked through the front door onto the porch. The car was parked right off the porch in the driveway. I let go of his hand to turn and put the diaper bag into the open car door (he was a good 3 or 4 feet back from the edge of the porch, mind you), and bam. Quick as a wink he stepped off the porch (one short step) and fell face first onto the concrete driveway. I turned just in time to see his little face hit. I was struck with fear in the second or so before he started crying. I picked him up so fast that I actually saw his face before the blood started to come to the surface. He actually didn't cry as much as I thought he should have, which no doubt made it a little easier on me.

His little nose took the brunt of the fall. He has a little scrape on the tip of his nose and a good abrasion right under his nostrils. Gil actually joked and said he looks like Hitler with his little red "mustache". He was a trooper, tho. We discovered afterwards that he had a little scrape/bump on his forehead, too. He has a little bit of a runny nose right now, and what a terrible place to have an abrasion! Poor guy sees me coming with a tissue and runs the other way!

I was afraid of what he would look like this morning, but it looks so much better than I thought it would. I thought he might be all bruised, but his abrasions scabbed up overnight and he doesn't look too bad. But I'm still not posting a picture. Just not something that this Mommy wants to run across someday while looking back through my blog!

Thank God he won't remember a thing. Hopefully my memory will fade, too, as I am so hard on myself with things like that. But aren't we all?

No comments: