Friday, September 18, 2009

Lucas' First Soccer Game!

Our little man has jumped on the family bandwagon and is playing soccer. He has never played before (not unless you count the crazy soccer games we play in the back yard!), and he is doing great! He had his first game last week, and he scored a goal! Mommy was very proud! He really does get it - the concepts, the rules, a little bit of strategy. And he's having fun, that's the most important part.

He started the game playing Sweeper, so he wasn't allowed to cross the mid-field line. The coach asks the parents of the Sweeper to stand right on the sidelines to yell at the kids and help them remember not to cross the line. So two minutes into the game, I was on the sideline, taking photos of course, and Lucas runs over to me, crying. I was horrified that he was leaving his team without their beloved Sweeper, so I said "What are you doing? Get back out there!" and Lucas choked out "But Mommy, I need my sunglasses!!". Who plays soccer in sunglasses?? What four year old plays soccer in sunglasses?? So after a few more "You don't need them" and "We didn't bring them", he finally went back out onto the field and never mentioned it again the rest of the night! Whew!


Ok, ok. On to the fun part. Pictures!

Check out that follow through! What a natural! Ok, I'm his mommy and I might be a little biased.
This one was his goal! A breakaway, I guess you would say!

What a handsome goalie! The other team never got off any shots when Lucas was goalie, so he didn't have any magnificent saves. Maybe tonight!






I love the fact that he is looking up - I like to think he is scanning for open teammates and scoping out the best angle for a shot on goal. Maybe?

And his number one fan! I promised myself I wouldn't post any pictures of his scraped up face, but his scabs are all but gone, so I know he isn't going to be permanently scarred from me letting him fall off the porch.



1 comment:

Megan @ SimplyThrifty said...

Such cute soccer pictures. Way to go Lucas!!
Speaking of nose-dives off the porch, I caught Taeya as she was falling off ours today and then she DID fall off another time today but didn't get injured. Whew. These kiddos are hard to keep up with sometimes.